09 June 2014

Counselor's Exercise #1: The Cover Letter

So my counselor asked me to do something that's very hard for me to do. She asked me to write a cover letter, but to focus on what's important to me rather than a potential employer. What about my skills am I most proud of? She gave me this assignment two weeks ago, and it took me a while to process this assignment and to figure it out. It's dreadfully hard for me to write a cover letter... but here goes.

To my future employers,

What's important for you to know is not my skill set, nor my degree, nor how well I did in school. You can read that for yourself in my resume. You know you're looking for someone with my degree and who can do the tasks that you set for that person to do. What's important for you to know is who I am.

I'm the child of a brilliant mechanical engineer (Ph.D). You could very well say that every child thinks that their parents walk on water, but read on. My father invented, designed, and built things that had never been done before, and the best example of that was the first ever commercial microwave dryer. In the textiles industry, it's important to set the dye so that the end consumer doesn't have every piece of clothing they ever owned bleed all over every other piece. He figured out that microwaves set that dye better and it lasts longer than had previously been done. His invention is now being used all over the world in textile mills and plants.

I'm also the child of an equally brilliant public relations expert, now professor (MA). Her firm created masterpieces for internationally known companies, like Denny's restaurants, Tindall Concrete, and Milliken & Company (incidentally, my father's invention was commissioned by the same). She saved Denny's reputation during an unfortunate nationally embarrassing incident that could have killed each the restaurant chain and each franchise as a result. She now teaches what she knows, which is a formidable set of skills that most communications professors would envy. She's an invaluable asset to the university satellite at which she teaches.

What a set of parents! What kind of child could they have produced?

Well, because of them people from many corners of the world have come to stay with us: Australia, England, Ukraine, and South Africa. They worked hard to afford me a trip to Europe where I toured the Czech Republic, Poland, Germany, and France while playing violin in high school orchestra. I sang in choirs and performed in plays. I taught myself how to read music long before I ever picked up the violin, though, using my mother's piano as a wordless teacher.

I learned how to research those things that I am passionate about and not. My passions are archaeology, anthropology, art, astrophysics, genetics, genealogy, history, herbology, psychology, and religions from all ages of time. I love condensing that knowledge into research papers and will devote hours to watching documentaries and reading textbooks on those subjects. I will always be curious about how the universe works and where our place, as humans, is within it.

I have a sense of humor that ranges from the dry and droll to the witty and sharp, to even crass. I'm a classy lady who knows how to tile floors, hang sheetrock, and use a belt sander. I have a big heart that hurts for all the injustices in the world, and wishes there were something more I could do to alleviate the suffering those injustices cause; I believe in fairness in all things, even though sometimes it may hurt. I try to be friendly to all, because if it weren't for some extraordinary circumstances, I might not be who I am today, and I recognize that particular stroke of luck.

I suffer from generalized anxiety disorder, which can affect how I react to others. A glance, a word, a sound may send me into a fit I can't see my way out of, and that can be scary. I have flashbacks from trauma I have suffered in my past, and sometimes that alone will be enough. I am physically healthy as a woman in her 30s who has no children can be, and yet there are some days when I can't get out of bed because that anxiety is too much to bear. I am on medication for my disorder, and in counseling, and I am striving to overcome my disorder, because I have finally lost patience with dealing with it on my own.

In short, I am trying to be the best person I know how to be in this short time I have on this Earth. I'm easy to get along with, and you'll never have a dull conversation with me. I'm rarely in a bad mood, and I like to believe that I am dedicated to being a good employee for a good employer. I have a high code of ethics for myself, and my morals aren't bad either.

If I am the kind of person you think you want to employ, please contact me for an interview. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Sincerely,
Me

2 comments:

Feel free to leave me a comment!