18 May 2014

An Introduction to Fear

I took the URL for this blog about a year ago, and since then I have started and stopped writing this inaugural post, writing a good deal and then erasing it all, ignoring the fact that I even started it for the longest time, but I think... I think it's time to start being serious about this.

I think what stopped me was that I thought no one would want to read about what's going on in my life, and maybe that I was afraid that potential employers would find this and use it against me; and then I realized, tonight, it doesn't matter and the right employer will see this for what it is, an outlet. What matters most is that I need to have an outlet for what's going on, and privately journalling, while great, sometimes takes more effort than I have — and I can type faster than I can write too!

Part of the human experience, in my experience, is that we all have demons that chase us. My demons seem to have been just waiting for me to exit the womb. My mother says that I was born with a smile on my face and a wrinkle in my brow, and she just knew I'd taken on the cares of the world at that moment.

I've been literally scared of everything for as long as I can remember. Startling at the smallest sound, trembling in the presence of friends, and petrified of strangers and what they'll do to me... it sounds so silly! But this has been my experience, and it has been very difficult to articulate for the past 30 years. There are days when I look out the window, and literally cannot muster up enough courage to leave the bed. My mother had to institute a rule in the house: "If you're not puking, have white stuff on your tonsils, or don't have fever, you're going to school." Well, I hate puking and will do anything to prevent it, I've been mercifully given only very rare bouts of strep throat, and my temperature has always run cool; if I have a fever, I'm probably knocking on death's door. But that doesn't mean that I had to talk while I was in the classroom.

A lot of people will tell you, when you tell them that you're scared, that it's nothing to be afraid of; alternatively, they'll tell you that everyone's afraid of that. What they don't understand, what I don't understand, is how fear affects your life. For me, it's conquering the fears everyone else seems to have, like a fear of falling, or speaking to large audiences, or holding a snake — but those little ones are what stop me in my tracks. Those little ones like learning how to ride a bike, or telling your friends that you need help, or here lately, telling your doctors that you know you need help. 

I'm on two prescriptions for my anxiety now and facing an uphill battle war that's been 30 years in the making. I've had to tell my doctors, "Look, the depression is always going to be there, no matter what, because both sides of my parentage have passed that down to me. I need some help to not be scared of my own shadow. The smile on my face, and the giggles, they hide the part of me that is trembling just talking you right now. I need you to see that I'm fighting for the breath to tell you this, and it's only the things I've learned that help me cover up my fear, the giggling, the smiling, that keep me from running out that door."

I hope I can continue my drug regimen. I hope I can continue to see my doctors. I hope I'm not leaning too much on my friends and family, asking them to please be there for me. I look at those bills piling up with no way of paying for them, and I'm scared I'll lose that hope. Worse than that, I'm terrified that I won't win enough battles, and that I'll lose the war against my anxiety. 

6 comments:

  1. I love you kid! it's one battle at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure what to say, my friend. I hear your cry and what I can say, is yeah, me too. I think a lot of what you say is part of human existence. If you can put a smile on your face to cover what's going on inside, couldn't that be true of others? That said, I am certainly not trying to minimize your experience or mock your feelings. I'm glad that you do reach out. I've found that things are 100% more terrible by keeping it inside. I've also heard that you're only as sick as your secrets. Peace, C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "If you can put a smile on your face to cover what's going on inside, couldn't that be true of others?"

      For some reason, Chris, that made me mad when I read your question. It took me a while to figure it out and how to articulate why I had such a strong reaction to an honest perspective.

      It is very true that a lot of people put a smile on their face to cover what's going on inside. I'm not claiming I'm the only one who does it, nor will I be the last to do so either.

      But your question is part of what keeps people with depression and anxiety disorders, the constant and agonizing experience of extreme numbness and/or fear, from seeking treatment, because others do experience the same emotions from time to time. It also keeps people who don't have depression and anxiety disorders scratching their heads at those who DO seek treatment, because "everyone feels that way sometimes."

      Sometimes... not constantly. Most people don't wake up in a full-blown state of panic from a peaceful dream. Most people don't have panic attacks just THINKING about going to church with their mother on Mother's Day. If someone without these disorders panics, there's usually a good reason for it — for me and others like me, there's no reason for it.

      Have you ever met a dog that was scared of literally everything, and sometimes it trembled in a corner, and sometimes it lashed out for seemingly no reason other than it was scared? If that dog is luckier than most, there will be a compassionate human being that will take the time to rehabilitate that dog and show it that there is no reason to be scared of everything. That dog will still tremble, and will still revert to fear reactions when it's under stress, but it will be a happier and healthier dog in the long run.

      My smiles and giggles, for the most part, are me covering up my dog in the corner. I've done some really stupid, and harmful, stuff that could be analogous to the dog lashing out. I'm taking meds and seeing doctors, hoping to one day not be constantly fearful and to make thought-out decisions that are not so harmful to me or others.

      As my father had a habit of saying, "You always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got." Well, it's time to change what I've done to change what I've got.

      Delete
  3. I may never have the impeccable talent you have with words to convey my thoughts or emotions, but I can certainly say that God gave you that gift for a reason. Your fear has kept you away from so many things, but I'm glad to see you pushing it aside to share with us. I can't (and won't) tell you that I do or can understand anything you are going through, but I can (and will) tell you that I love you and what you are doing here! Stay strong when you can, and thank you for finding the courage to let others catch you when the strength doesn't come <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shana! It's not a huge gift, but if the written word helps even one person to realize that they're not alone, then it's a priceless gift indeed.

      Delete

Feel free to leave me a comment!