05 July 2014

What Are Blessings Anyway?

I've always had a fascination with world religions, and history, from a very early age; how could I not be fascinated with how religion figures into human history, and how people operate within those constructs, when I observed so much of human behavior? Long before I saw the Indiana Jones films, I had a fantasy of becoming an archaeologist or an anthropologist.

I thought I understood what I was getting into at the ripe old age of nine years old when my pastor and now good friend, Randy, baptized me in the name of the Father, Son, and the Holy Ghost. After all, through my own studies of the Bible and other religious teachings, almost every thing he said in the pulpit and in our private discussions resonated in my core. I will never forget asking him when I was seven "How do we know we're right in our beliefs, when so many other religions teach the same thing the Bible says?" and his response of, "We don't know we're right. We believe, but other religions believe too. We'll know when we meet our Creator, by whatever name we call him."

We moved away from the city where Randy spread that message to one two and a half hours away, and started going to a church he recommended based on his experiences in seminary with the pastor there. I was ready to continue the same line of discussions I had loved in Randy's church, because we were staying in the same denomination. I had no idea how my faith would be shaken to its core.

The messages from the pulpit were not conversations with the congregation, they were structured in a rigid five paragraph format. The youth group, and pastor, wasn't all that interested in discussing the Scriptures in context of their lives and interests where I had been used to lively discussions with Eric, the youth pastor I had grown up with, and debates that went on far into the night sometimes. The missions activities seemed nominal and mainly funneled through monetary donations, instead of time and sweat and blood and tears, and those were what I most loved about my missions work.

I think the one activity I participated in that most shook me up was the girl's Bible study group, which I'll admit wasn't all that active with Eric because we were so involved in co-ed Bible study, and our youth group was quite small. This girl's Bible study group had one rise through the ranks through the completion of certain activities, much like scouting troops.

During my last retreat with this girl's group, we were all given a "blessings" survey that purported to identify where our strengths and talents lay within the Church's needs, such as music, missions, teaching, etc. The most anyone had been identified in before me was three — I was "blessed" with five of the eight different areas where I could give back to God. This gave me pause and reflection more than pride, because I didn't see these as "blessings" as defined by the teachings I knew through independent research and reading the Bible for myself. For those who are unfamiliar with the Beatitudes, where Jesus outright tells his followers who is blessed, I'm providing them here.
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 
Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted. 
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth. 
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they will be filled. 
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy. 
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God. 
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called the sons of God. 
Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 
Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me.
Do I have a musical gift? Yes, but that's not a blessing here defined. Do I feel a strong need to graciously stand up for those who cannot stand for themselves? Yes, I do, and yes, I do. Do I give of myself more than I probably should? It breaks my heart every day. Do I try to stand for what I believe is right, morally and ethically? Check my employment history; I'm not ever going to apologize for doing so.

Do I feel drawn to appreciate other cultures and not interpret them according to the standards of my particular society? Oh yes. Do I recognize that the concept of God means different things to different people? You betcha. Do I believe in a higher power that has created the universe, by whatever name we choose to give it? I can't look at the leaves on the trees or the stars in the sky without being filled with that knowledge.

That survey only defined one of those as a blessing; my musical gift. Yes, I was born with an innate talent that I developed through hard work, but that's not a blessing. A blessing is recognizing where you are weakest and giving in to that weakness. Giving it up to be judged, not wanting for punishment, but acknowledgment that you are stronger for saying you are weak. Blessings are not how much you make or those external demonstrations of your earthly power; they are those internal forces that make you examine yourself and the humanity you exhibit in your weakest state.

Note: Thank you to my friend Rebecca for making me examine the word carefully as I apply it to my life. Thank you to my friends Randy (edit: added a link to his website after publishing) and Eric for not disparaging my questioning attitude, rather, encouraging it as it strengthened my internal compass. And thank you to this blogger for his own words on the importance of being careful with the word "blessings."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave me a comment!